June 1, 2008

Welcome June!

Today is the first day of June. We are now well into spring and will arrive in summer before the month is through. I have found myself drawn outside repeatedly over the past month, wanting to be outside sitting sipping tea in the sun, eating meals outside, playing, hanging out laundry, or working in the garden. Some days have been so beautiful, they have felt intoxicating–in the delightful, non-alcoholic sense of the word. I enjoy and love aspects of all the seasons: fall, winter, spring, summer; and I am currently really enjoying spring: the resurgence of colour into the visual landscape, the wonderful sights and smells of plants, bicycling again, and wearing skirts (at least, on occasion, … we’ve still had a lot of chilly days). When I look at the current state of my garden or the state it was in two weeks ago, with the tulips in full bloom, the forget-me-nots’ dazzling iridescence, I have reminded myself to enjoy it exactly as it is right now and to try to settle into that, instead of residing more in the realm of anticipation of the next interesting thing to come. There is nothing wrong with the latter, that excited and interested antcipation; however, I am also acutely aware that the garden season can feel very short, that before I know it, I’ll be observing the last blooms of the year, and eating local farmers’ fall harvests, so I would like to also make sure I that savour each morsel of the experience, and to aim to experience the full experience of the garden and the season as it is today, as it is in the moment I find myself in.

No comments: